In 1989, the first single lung transplant was performed in B.C., and three heart-lung transplants were also performed that year. A year later, the first double lung transplant took place and since then, more than 250 lung transplants have been performed in BC. Both single lung and double lung transplants are performed in BC at the transplant centre at Vancouver General Hospital.
- The majority of lung transplants are performed on patients with cystic fibrosis, emphysema and pulmonary fibrosis. Potential transplant candidates should be otherwise healthy but have chronic, end-stage lung disease.
- Once referred, patients will undergo a variety of tests and examinations both physical and psychological.
- Patients should be well informed of their disease and demonstrate good health behavior and a commitment to follow health care guidelines.
- If the decision is made by the transplant team, in consultation with the patient and family to proceed, patients are then placed on the active wait list.
- In special circumstances patients may need to be referred out of province in order to receive a lung transplant. In this rare event medical expenses are covered by BC's Ministry of Health. Following the transplant patients will return to BC for their follow up care.
- You must be a BC resident with a Personal Care Card Number
- You must be referred by your lung specialist or family physician to the Lung Transplant Team at Vancouver General Hospital, in Vancouver
Your Care Team:
The routine assessment includes consultation with the members of the transplant team comprised of a Respirologist, Transplant Surgeon, Clinical Coordinator, Social worker, Dietician and Psychologist. If required, appointments will also be arranged with specialists from other disciplines, such as Cardiology, Hepatology, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, Urology and Nephrology.
For more information please contact:
Pre-Transplant Assessment Clinic
Vancouver General Hospital
Gordon and Leslie Diamond Health Care Centre
2775 Laurel Street
Vancouver, B.C. V5Z 1M9
604.875.5182 or 1-855-875-5182