BC Transplant provides oversight for all aspects of organ donation and transplantation across BC.
- BC’s deceased organ donor rate in 2018 was consistent with 2017 at 24.9 after increasing from 20.3 in 2016—making BC a leader in deceased donation in Canada. This success has been a direct result of the work BC Transplant has done to support organ donation at the hospital level, with donation coordinators and physician champions roles as well as more options for donation.
- BC Transplant’s focus on the benefits of living kidney donation—both to patient outcomes and health care costs—has resulted in an increase from 2017 in the living donor rate to 20.4 donors per million in 2018.
- BC Transplant’s robust public communications and community partnerships have increased knowledge and support for organ donation and transplantation in British Columbia—with more than 1.4 million British Columbians registered in the organ donor registry.
- Organ transplants today save the lives of more British Columbians than ever before due to the growing experience, knowledge and expertise of the health care professionals involved in each step of the process.
- BC was the first province in Canada to establish an official organ donor registry, and the first to introduce technology that allows residents to register completely online with a digital signature. Partnerships with Insurance Corporation of BC (ICBC) and Service BC make it possible for British Columbians to easily register their decision on organ donation at Service BC and ICBC locations across the province.