BC Transplant works with transplant professionals across the province to develop a broad range of clinical guidelines, tools and educational resources.
Any death that occurs in any hospital in BC is required to be reported to the Organ Donor Referral line.
Under the Consent to Donation Regulation (a provision of BC's Human Tissue Gift Act), any impending death that occurs in any hospital in BC is required to be reported to the
Organ Donor Referral line at 1-877-366-6722.
BC Transplant, in conjunction with the hospital, then determines donor suitability.
1Identification of potential donor
- End of life consideration
2Ask: Is it the right time to make a referral?
Refer all patients when:
- Nothing more medically or surgically can be done to save the patient
- Comfort care options have been discussed with the next of kin
- A family initiates discussion regarding donation
3Make the callCall
1-877-DONOR-BC, 24 hours, 7 days a week.
If you are a hospital calling BC Transplant with a patient who may be a potential donor, your first step is to call: 1-877-Donor-BC (366-6722).
When an organ donor referral comes in, BC Transplant will access the Organ Donor Registry to determine if the patient is a registered organ donor.
Good end of life care includes the opportunity to GIVE.
- G: Grave prognosis
- I: Intention to move towards comfort care
- V: Ventilated
- E: Eligibility and registration. Check with BC Transplant prior to family meeting
Call BC Transplant: 1-877-DONOR-BC.
We may ask for:
- PHN (BCT to check Organ Donor Registry)
- Admission date and diagnosis
- Previous medical history
- Hemodynamic status
- Neurological status
- Family information
- Plan of care