Specialized post-transplant care is essential for all transplant recipients. The following information sheet outlines some of the important steps to consider when planning a move to or from B.C.
1. Inform your current transplant team/clinic that you are moving to B.C. They will need to transfer your medical/transplant file to one of the B.C. post-transplant clinics and arrange a follow up appointment.
- There are transplant centres, clinics and pharmacies throughout B.C.:
- Transplant centres:
- Vancouver General Hospital (kidney, liver, lung, pancreas, islet cell transplants)
- St. Paul's Hospital (heart, kidney transplants)
- BC Children's Hospital (heart, kidney, liver, lung transplants)
- Regional post-transplant clinics:
- Prince George
2. Apply for B.C. medical and PharmaCare coverage as soon as you arrive in B.C. It can take up to three months for your B.C. medical and PharmaCare coverage to activate.
- BC Medical Services Plan (BC MSP)
- BC PharmaCare (Fair PharmaCare)
3. Check with your new BC post-transplant clinic that you have a follow up appointment. They will need to register you with BC Transplant. This will ensure that your transplant medications are covered by BC Transplant provided you have these prescriptions filled at one of the 13 BC Transplant Pharmacies.
4. Ensure you bring at least a three-month supply of your transplant and other medications with you. It may take up to three months before your B.C. medical and medication coverage is active after you arrive in B.C.
- Inform your B.C. transplant clinic that you are planning to move to another province. They can help transfer your medical/transplant file to another transplant clinic and arrange a follow up appointment.
- Remember to apply for medial and medication coverage in the province you are moving to. There may be up to a three-month delay in getting coverage activated.
- Ensure you bring at least a three-month supply of your transplant and other medications with you.
See the full PDF BC Transplant Information Sheet: Post-transplant patients moving to or from BC (PDF).